SBBPAC Meeting 6 August 2012
The meeting will be held on Monday, 6 August 2012 at 5:00 PM at:
La Colonia Community Center
715 Valley Ave
Solana Beach, CA 92075
- Updates from the city
- SANDAG grant application update from the city
- Status of Safe Route to Schools grant application
- City of Solana Beach General Plan. Bicycle and pedestrian related issues for the General Plan Updata.
- Car Free Saturday – Aug 25
- Status for discussions with American Assets and other shopping areas for bike parking infrastructure improvements
- Event bike parking plans for remainder of the year
Notes and Action Items from the meeting:
- Dan Goldberg reported that he is awaiting a chance to brief our SANDAG grant request. Our Safe Routes to Schools application, which would have improved bike- and walk-ability along Stevens in particular, was rejected.
- Sat, Aug 25 is Car Free Saturday in Solana Beach
- Meet at 9:30 am, La Colonia, with Kathleen Ferrier, WalkSanDiego, to participate in a walkability survery
- Douglas Alden will be distributing flyers around the city.
- We wish to get bike shops and businesses to offer a 10% discount for people who come to their business without a car. Solicitors: Revolution (Jim Curl), B&L (Daniel Powell), Velo Hangar (Karl Rudnick), Claires (Jill Cooper), Naked Cafe (Jill Cooper), Lockwood Cafe (Kristine Schindler), Zinc Cafe (Kristine Schindler). Commitments for discounts need to be secured by Thurs, August 9, so the flyer can be finalized, printed, distributed. Communicate all commitments to Douglas Alden.
- We’ll set up bike parking for the film at Fletcher Cove. Douglas Alden will contact Rick Kozloski (sp.) who may have racks from the SB Triathlon. This will support other events for which we wish to provide free bike parking to encourage riding to the event. Other local events which may benefit from bike parking are Giro di San Diego in September, Arts Alive in October and Tree Lighting at Fletcher Cove in Dec.
- City General Plan update. View the website http://www.ci.solana-beach.ca.us/csite/cms/general-plan-update.htm . Any communication on notification of upcoming workshops, how to get our input in to the plan, etc. should be made to Catherine Lorbeer ([email protected])
- Daniel Powell wants us to agree on the best bicycle parking racks to suggest to American Assets. Dan Goldberg suggested we consider the designs which will be used on 101. Dan will send them to Douglas for distribution. We will look at styles used by Long Beach as well, provided by the supplier they used – Karl Rudnick will follow up on that. Chris Kluth suggested it was DERO at http://www.dero.com/ where you can view both their commercial racks and custom offerings.
- It would be great to have a BikeWalkSolana banner for display at events where we are present, including where we coordinate bike parking. Karl Rudnick will talk with Judy Frankel and/or Brian Grover to inquire how BikeWalkEncinitas designed and acquired their banner.
- Suggested reading from Daniel Powell: The Economist, July 21, 2012. Article cites that inactivity is equivalent to smoking in terms of adverse health effects. This is also supported by $74 million in savings in Iowa’s annual healthcare budget per this report: http://dc.streetsblog.org/2012/01/26/study-bicycling-generates-365-million-in-economic-activity-in-iowa/