BikeWalkSolana Meeting, Mon February 3, 2020
The next meeting of BikeWalkSolana, the Solana Beach Active Transportation Committee, be held on Monday, February 3, 2020, 5pm at Fletcher Cove Community Center.
Fletcher Cove Community Center
133 Pacific Avenue
Solana Beach, CA 92075
- Updates from the City
- Bike In Movie Night planning
- Bike shop engagement with BikeWalkSolana and the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition
San Diego Regional Bike SummitThursday, Feb 6 to Saturday, Feb 8Register at https://tinyurl.com/sdrbs2020The objectives of the Summit are to bring together advocates, local and national leaders for bicycling, elected officials and more to share examples of successful projects, best practices and strategies to improve bicycling everywhere.
Meeting Venues: Balboa Park – Museum of Photographic Arts, San Diego History Museum, San Diego Museum of Art and Panama 66
Highlights of the San Diego Regional Bike Summit Include:
Round table group discussions on current trends, policies and projects for bicycling
Hearing from leaders and elected officials in and outside the region on their commitments to safe and equitable bicycling
Networking opportunities for professionals and advocates involved with bicycling
Bringing a diverse group of stakeholders together to share ideas and best practices
A platform for telling regional picture for the future of bicycling to share with local and regional media outlets
Topics include: Place-making and Open Streets, Transportation Justice, Successful Advocacy Strategies, E-Bikes, Trails and Open Space, Climate Action and Complete Streets, Cross Border Collaboration for Bicycling and more!
- The annual pavement management project has been a success. Dig outs and inlays are almost finished, including work done on Lomas Santa Fe Drive (at night to minimize traffic disruption), north bound Highway 101, and Santa Helena. Pavement striping will begin soon.
- As a traffic calming measure, the City will place speed cushions on Glencrest Drive: one between Lomas Santa Fe and Dell, and one between Dell and Glencrest Ct. 80% of the neighborhood is in favor, which meets both the neighborhood and City Engineering criteria for approval. It was suggested that Mo contact City Manager Greg Wade to request a “Speed cushion coming soon” message board to notify residents. To further slow traffic on Glencrest, pylons will be installed by the side of the road between Canyon Drive and Glencrest Ct.
- There are 43 miles of roadway in Solana Beach!
- The Staff report about the Santa Helena trail project (from Sun Valley Road to the San Elijo Lagoon) will be presented to the City Council on February 26. This report includes input from a neighborhood focus group headed by Vicky Driver. There is concern that some residents are opposed to the trail section on the slope side of the street between Santa Victoria and the lagoon. We encourage supporters of the trail project to speak in favor of it on February 26 at the Council meeting.