BikeWalkSolana Meeting (Zoom), December 5, 2022
The next meeting of BikeWalkSolana, the Solana Beach Active Transportation Committee, will be held on December 5, 2022, 5pm on Zoom. For an invitation please email [email protected]
- Updates from the City
- Planning for City of Solana Beach Community Grant Activities
- Vision Zero – Vision Zero is a global movement to end traffic-related fatalities and serious injuries by taking a systemic approach to road safety.
- Proposed 101/Harbaugh Trails pedestrian safety improvement
- New Business
Meeting Notes by Jill Cooper
Those present included Douglas Alden, Kristin Brinner, Jill Cooper, Paul Dickstein, Dan Goldberg, Haley Johnson, Shawna McGarry, and Karl Rudnick.
Updates from the City – Dan Goldberg
- City of Solana Beach bike share program – Assistant City Manager Dan King is working to implement a bike share program in Solana Beach. Representatives of bcycle, a subsidiary of Trek, would like to expand their Encinitas bike share to Solana Beach.
- Safe Routes to Schools – Douglas and Shawna were among a “small gathering” of people who attended the November 17 SRTS initial planning workshop. Comments from the workshop were to be relayed to the City Council at its January 11 meeting. A finalized plan must be presented to CALTRANS by the end of February.
- Lomas Santa Fe Improvement Corridor Project – U.S. Congress Member Mike Levin has facilitated the award of $7 million for construction to begin on the multi-purpose path section on the east side of Lomas Santa Fe Drive. Paul observed that lengthening the crosswalk at Las Banderas and Lomas Santa Fe Drive and modifying the traffic signal to allow pedestrians to begin crossing before motorists would improve safety in that intersection.
- Bicycle Friendly Community – The renewal application to the League of American Cyclists is due on February 15.
Planning for City of Solana Beach Community Grant Activities
- We need to begin planning for the Community Ride, a group tour of Solana Beach to be held in May, and for the Scavenger Hunt, which can be completed at any time during May. Plans include setting dates, beginning publicity, and assigning tasks. Douglas will share a spreadsheet to facilitate our getting organized.
Vision Zero Program
- Kristin and Shawna proposed that BikeWalkSolana advocate that the City of Solana Beach adopt Vision Zero. Vision Zero is a strategy for cities to eliminate all traffic fatalities and severe injuries, while increasing safe, healthy, equitable mobility for all. The City of San Diego is one of the cities in California that has signed on to the goals of Vision Zero. We could start by making a 3 minute presentation during the public comments session of the City Council meeting.https://visionzeronetwork.org/about/what-is-vision-zero/
Proposed 101/Harbaugh Trails pedestrian safety improvement
- (Dan) Representatives from the cities of both Encinitas and Solana Beach have met to develop a plan allowing pedestrians to safely cross Highway 101 from the beach to the entrance to Harbaugh Trails. The area in question is in the City of Encinitas. Possible improvements could be the installation of a traffic signal or a signalized crosswalk with a landscaped median on 101.