BikeWalkSolana Meeting (Zoom), March 6, 2023
The next meeting of BikeWalkSolana, the Solana Beach Active Transportation Committee, will be held on March 6, 2023, 5pm on Zoom. For an invitation please email [email protected]
- Updates from the City
- Bike Month Plans for City of Solana Beach Community Grant Activities
- New Business
Meeting Notes by Jill Cooper
Those present were Douglas Alden, Kristin Brinner, Jill Cooper, Paul Dickstein, Jewel Edson, Dan Goldberg, Haley Johnson, Shawna McGarry, and Karl Rudnick.
Updates from the City – Dan Golderg
- Bicycle Friendly Community application to LAB – Dan submitted our Bicycle Friendly Community silver level renewal application to the League of American Bicyclists (LAB), and it was received. The LAB is requesting more information via results of a survey of our bicycling community. At Dan Goldberg’s request, Dan King has publicized the supplemental survey in the March 9 City Weekly Update. (See “Bicycle Friendly Community Survey.”) Included is a Spanish version of the survey, and Karl and Jill will work on publicizing it to the Hispanic community via Casa de Amistad and the Boys and Girls Club. Dan needs to submit results of the LAB survey by the April 5 deadline, so we need to encourage people in the SB bicycling community to complete the survey asap.Bicycle Friendly Community awards are expected by the end of April. They will be announced publicly in May, Bike Month.
May is Bike Month!
- SANDAG sponsored Bike ANYWHERE Day will be May 18. https://www.icommutesd.com/
- Bike, Walk, and Roll to School Day will be May 3. https://www.walkbiketoschool.org/learn-more/about-the-events/about-bike-to-school-day/
- Karl will contact everyone about scheduling our Tour of Solana Beach Scavenger Hunt planning ride in March on a weekend afternoon. We decided that we will again offer an e-bike as the Scavenger Hunt grand prize. San Diego Electric Bike has donated half the price of one of their e-bikes for the past 2 years. In 2023 we will ask the other Solana Beach bike shops if they’d like to step up.
- Shawna has submitted our event application for the May 7 Tour of Solana Beach Community Ride with the $50 fee to the City. We need to complete the application by submitting proof of the City-mandated insurance which was $424 last year.. Douglas shared that Mission Federal Credit Union is interested in partnering with us, possibly in helping us with our insurance needs. Douglas and Shawna will work on getting the proper insurance.
- On March 6 Douglas sent 2 documents to current and past volunteers to help us get organized for BikeWalkSolana Bike Month activities: 2022-23 Community Grant Folder and 2022-23 BikeWalkSolana Community Grant Spreadsheet. Contact Karl at [email protected] if you did not receive this and would like to help out.
- Karl spoke in support of e-bike education. Also included in the March 9 City of Solana Beach Weekly Update is information on SANDAG hosted virtual e-bike classes. (See “Virtual Bike Education Class: All About E-Bikes.”)
Our next meeting will be on Monday, April 3 at 5pm.