BikeWalkSolana Meeting (Zoom), May 1, 2023
The next meeting of BikeWalkSolana, the Solana Beach Active Transportation Committee, will be held on May 1, 2023, 5pm on Zoom. For an invitation please email [email protected]
- Updates from the City
- Tour of Solana Beach Bike Ride
Saturday, 7 May 2023, 10AM
May is Bike Month, and BikeWalkSolana invites you to be part of the celebration! Join us for the third annual Tour of Solana Beach Community Ride on Saturday, May 7. Our group will pedal through the lovely neighborhoods of Solana Beach at a leisurely pace, led by qualified ride monitors. We’ll leave from La Colonia Park at 10 am. The event is free and open to all ages. This family friendly event is sponsored by a City of Solana Beach Community Grant. Come early (by 9:45) to register. You might win a raffle prize!
- Solana Beach Scavenger Hunt – May 2023
Another opportunity to celebrate National Bike Month is to participate in the Solana Beach Scavenger Hunt also sponsored by a City of Solana Beach Community Grant. Start anywhere on the route for this family friendly adventure exploring beautiful Solana Beach biking or walking, and car free. Complete the Scavenger Hunt in multiple trips or do it in one big loop. See eclectic outdoor art, learn about Solana Beach history, and explore hidden parts of town. We’re delighted to partner with the Solana Beach Civic and Historical Society, whose historical plaques with QR codes on historic buildings will help scavenger hunters find answers to questions about Solana Beach’s past. Take your cell phone! Submit your completed score sheet for a chance to win raffle prizes from Solana Beach bike shops. The grand prize is an e-bike. The route and score sheet is available at https://bikewalksolana.org.
- SANDAG Bike Anywhere Day
Thursday, 18 May 2023
Bike Anywhere Day is for everyone in the San Diego region, not just for those who commute to work. Whether you are a student, family, commuter, bike enthusiast, or someone who is new to biking, pledge to GO by BIKE anywhere on Thursday, 18 May, 2023. Join thousands of people and roll into one of our pit stops between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. to receive your free t-shirt, while supplies last. Register at https://www.sandag.org/
Meeting Notes by Jill Cooper
Present at the Zoom meeting were Douglas Alden, Kristin Brinner, Jill Cooper, Paul Dickstein, Jewel Edson, Dan Goldberg, Shawna McGarry, and Mo Sammak.
- The Lomas Santa Fe bridge over the railroad tracks between Cedros and Hwy 101 is being repaired at night to prevent daytime traffic congestion around the construction site.
- The City pavement repair project will start later than planned in late summer or early fall. We’ve observed that the painted bike detector symbols at intersections which indicate where bicyclists need to place their wheels to trip the traffic light to change to green are faded and need to be repainted. The City will locate intersections needing repainting. Cyclists should remember “Tires on the wires” and place their wheels at the 3:00 or 9:00 position for a green light.
- Congressman Mike Levin has acquired $7M more in funding for construction of the west side of the Lomas Santa Fe Improvement Corridor. Although these earmarks have been approved, the federal budget must be approved before we actually receive the funding. Before construction can begin on the east side, the grant agreement must be finalized with Caltrans, but the City is still moving forward on final plans for construction, with the intention of going out to bid, then breaking ground toward the end of the year.
Tour of Solana Beach Community Ride 10am this Sunday, May 7 at La Colonia Park
BWS helpers, please arrive by 9:00 to help with set-up. Wear a safety vest, if you can, or bring extras for other people.
- Douglas: Bring BWS banner, pop-up tent, tables, chairs, tickets for post-ride raffle.
- Karl: Lead ride, finalize LCI (League Cycling Instructors) arrangements. Bring tire pump, waiver and registration sheets, pens, clipboards. On the ride, point out areas of interest like the planned Highland Drive roadway improvement project.
- Jill: Bring raffle prizes from SB bike shops and COSB Bike Month proclamation.
- Dan: Bring information about the Lomas Santa Fe Improvement Corridor Project and talk about it informally with ride participants.
- Paul, Jewel, Kristin, Shawna, Dan, Mo, please spread the word any way you can so we get a great turnout for this ride!
Self-guided Tour of Solana Beach Scavenger Hunt runs from May 1-31
On April 9 BWS members Douglas, Kristin, Jill, Paul, Shawna, and Karl took a Scavenger Hunt planning ride. We found many points of interest in Solana Beach, and many were included in the Hunt questions. As of May 3, there are more than 70 people registered. Although he’ll be in Minnesota for most of May, Karl can administer the Hunt from there. Thanks to Kristin who’s offered to organize and store the raffle prizes. There will be a prize drawing via Zoom early in June.
Fiesta Del Sol bike parking
We’re hoping that next year the SB Chamber of Commerce will budget money for a bike parking corral and a valet who will watch over the bikes. The San Diego Bike Coalition has pricing based on the number of bikes parked.
Harbaugh Trails to beach Hwy 101 safe crossing
Encinitas and Solana Beach city staffs have been meeting with a safety consultant, and a proposed plan to slow traffic and allow pedestrians to cross the highway may be coming soon. Nearby residents are concerned about their views being impaired by a highway crossing. The COSB Work Plan could include this potential project.
City of Solana Beach Proclamation: National Bike Month May 2023
Karl and Jill accepted the City’s Proclamation at the April 26 City Council meeting. BikeWalkSolana thanks the City for this honor and for the opportunity to speak about our Bike Month events made possible by a Community Grant.